Wednesday, January 23, 2013

TAP TIDBITS ! - 1

Every once and a while I will stumble upon rare, and not so rare footage of some of my favourite tappers in film, old and new.  Classics like "Jumpin' Jive" with the Nicholas Brothers in the film Stormy Weather, how they could even walk after doing that number blows me away.  

                                      
Sammy Davis Jr. and Gregory Hines in the number, "Challenge"
scene from the film Tap.

 
Bill 'bojangles' Robinson's Stair dance from Harlem is Heaven.



Gene Kelly in "Singin' In the Rain"


Ginger Rogers and Fred Astaire in Swing Time.

 
and the amaaaaazing Ann Miller, whirling, twirling, and speed tapping her way through "Shakin' the Blues Away" in Easter Parade.


How she didn't fall over after doing all those turns is a mystery to me, I don't care how well she spotted ! 

These are just to name a few of the countless women and men that have left me awe-inspired over the years.   So, as a tribute to these talented tappers that have brought so much joy and inspiration to so many people, young, and also late bloomers like myself, I decided that now and then I would write "Tap Tidbits",  showcasing an artist/artists with a tap number that left me saying "I want to learn THAT!" or "HOW did they do THAT?"

This first one may surprise you.  I have never seen it before, and never thought that this celebrity, who was an amazing philanthropist/comedian, was also a damn good dancer. I hope you enjoy !! 

http://videos2view.net/Hope-Cagney.htm

This video came to me via my good childhood friend, Peggy Bentley.   
      

No comments:

Post a Comment